Dr. Onan Demirel is an assistant professor at the School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University. His research focuses on how to incorporate human needs, abilities and limitations during early stages of the design process. He is interested in the development of multi-disciplinary design theory and methods to explore inter-dependencies and co-evolution of human element in engineering, natural and social systems.
Dr. Demirel’s work engages in human subject data collection and virtual simulations, and applies mechanical engineering design methods with industrial design techniques to include human needs, abilities and limitations early in the design process. Dr. Demirel received his PhD in 2015 from Purdue University in Industrial Engineering. As well his MS and BS in Industrial Engineering came from Purdue.
- Design Theory and Methods
- Digital Human Modeling
- Human Factors Engineering
- Product Design and Development
- Human-in-the-loop Design
Current, Recent, and Upcoming HCD Courses
ME611 – Modern Product Design – 4 Credits – Fall 2016
Design Engineering Laboratory
Location: Dearborn Design Wing
Phone Number: (TBA)
Research Equipment and Software: (TBA)
- H.O. Demirel and V.G. Duffy, “Building quality into design process through Digital Human Modeling”, International Journal of the Digital Human (In Print), X-X (2016).
- H.O. Demirel, L. Zhang, and V.G. Duffy, “Opportunities for meeting sustainability objectives”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 51, 73-81 (2016).
- H. Tong, L. Zhang, H.O. Demirel B.C. Lee, Y. Yih, B. Bidassie, and V.G. Duffy, “Value co-creation in healthcare service systems”, Proceedings of AHFE 2015, the 6th International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, (2015).
- H.O. Demirel and V.G. Duffy, “A sustainable human centered design framework based on human factors”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Digital Human Modeling and Applications in Health, Safety, Ergonomics, and Risk Management. Healthcare and Safety of the Environment and Transport 8025, 307-315 (2013).
- H.O. Demirel and V.G. Duffy. Ergonomics: Theory and Applications (CRC Press, 2012), A. Bhattacharya & J. D. McGlothlin, eds.
- H.O. Demirel and V.G. Duffy, “Impact of force feedback on computer aided ergonomic analyses.”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Digital Human Modeling 5620, 608-613 (2009).
- H.O. Demirel and V.G. Duffy, “Digital human modeling for product lifecycle management.”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Digital Human Modeling 4561, 372-381 (2007).
- H.O. Demirel and V. G. Duffy, “Applications of digital human modeling in industry.”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Digital Human Modeling 4561, 824-832 (2007).